Monday 16 June 2014

You can call me queen bee....

And baby I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule ....

You can thank me later for that little earworm

So team LBQB, July is my month as queen bee and after much to-ing and fro-ing I've finally settled on the single wedding ring quilt block! It's featured in Love Patchwork & Quilting issue 6 if you have a copy but if you don't, fear not I'll put all the deets below.

First though, let's talk colours.....

I've picked a design seeds pallet but don't worry about sticking too rigidly to it. I'm basically after bright pinks, purples (any) or aqua blues for the feature colour and low volume for the background. I don't mind if you use solids or prints and if you want to go scrappy and use a few different fabrics then go for it! The only thing I'd ask is that if you are going scrappy, can you stick to one colour value for the colour bit of the block ie scrappy purples or scrappy pinks but not a mixture (please).

I've put a couple of examples of low volume below too (only because the blogger app doesn't let you put pics in the body of your post for some reason!)

Cutting requirements:

Colour
1 x 4.5 inch square
4 x 2.5 x 4.5 inch rectangles
4 x 3 3/8  inch squares (three and three eighths of an inch)

Background
8 x 2 7/8 inch squares (two and seven eighths of an inch)
4 x 2.5 x 4.5 rectangles

Construction (use a quarter inch seam)

1. Cut all background squares in half along the diagonal to form 16 triangles

2. Take the 3 3/8 inch coloured squares and sew a triangle to 2 of the opposing sides.

3. Press open (i did seams into middle) and trim off dog ears (the wee sticky out bits).

4. Repeat for the 2 remaining sides of the square & trim. Finished square in a square should be 4.5 inches

5. Pair colour & background rectangles and sew together along long edge

6. Lay out pieces in a 9 patch formation and sew together to form a row. 

7. Sew rows together to make a 12.5 inch block. (my wonky test block is shown below, not sure it'll make the cut!) 

Hope you have fun making this next month. Can't wait to see all of your finished blocks!!


3 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun block Claire! I like your colour choice picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That design seeds picture is delicious! I think we're going to have fun.

    Are you bothered about colour for the low volume prints? I noticed you used grey/white and also cream, green and blue in the other photos. Would you like us to stick to a similar single colour palate in the block or mix it up a little?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great block and thanks for the tutorial. Love the colour choices xx

    ReplyDelete